onsdag 17 februari 2010

Mayflies


Winter is a good time to read some books and learn new things, as me and my girlfriend was out walking this weekend, I found a book with a very nice title... Mayflies
I am more of a trout fisher than I am salmon fisher, I have spent quite a few days trying to catch during a mayfly hatch. This book is written by Malcom Knopp and Robert Cormier both of them fishing in the US. It is the most comprehensive book of mayflies I have read (yet) with good and detailed drawings, not that much photographs but a few at least.
Many of the described mayflies differ from the mayflies I find in Sweden, but the book is still helpful.
The three mayflie hatches I fish the most is: Ephemera danica and E. vulgata. Those are the biggest mayflies in Sweden and can grow to about 3 cm! The third one is not as big but it lives where I like to fish the most – in fast water. Heptagonal sulphurea! it is unmistakeably bright yellow and some days occur in wast numbers.
None of those are described in the book but they have relatives living on the other side of the Atlantic. Behaviours seems to be very much alike the spices around my favourite waters. Good book!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar