fredag 30 april 2010

Relieved



As I was out fishing river Mörrum this week I finally managed to land a fish! Kelts, but still the first once for me! The road to hook and land has been long. Hope has come and past, fishing trips has been measured in lost flies, good casts and recreation. I have probably spent as much time tying new and exiting flies as I have been out using them. Now that the first fish is landed I think about all this time I have spent not catching fish! Has it been a waste of time? Some times I have been fairly confident that my days fishing for salmon was getting close to expiration date, I honestly don´t know why I kept on trying. And it did cross my mind that this season might be the last... then maybe I would go back to fishing for trout instead.

I am struggling to put words on what these fish mean to me, but the first fish was not a pleasure! I didn't enjoy it at all actually, there has been so much time invested into landing that first fish, I just felt a lot of pressure instead. When that first one was landed and released I sat down and felt the calm spring breeze, I saw a pair of geese cruising at the far bank and it felt like all the birds in the forest were singing and celebrating, celebrating the arrival of spring. Spring really came fast this year, even though it was a hard winter. Wood anemone is filling the space between the trees and birch leafs is starting to make the forest green once again. I took my rod, put a new hook on my tippet and again put my fly into the stream. I was fishing my way downstream and after a while I started to feel rather content, I was enjoying fishing again! About an hour after the first fish I felt the weight of another fish on my fly. This fish was fighting harder and so was I! I managed to land it myself and it took the same fly as the first one. Both fish where about 90 cm and I hope to meet them again some time in the future!

2 kommentarer: